Problems While Updating Firmware Or Language Pack
In electronic / computing terms, "Firmware" refers to a small program or data structure that internally control various electronic devices. FingerTec terminals employ firmwares to operate its basic as well as high-level functions. By updating the firmware, we can fix bugs or add features to the device. This process involves loading a binary image file into the terminal. If the terminal’s firmware is outdated or corrupted, the FingerTec terminal will cease to work correctly and will result in slow response or even freeze. It is recommended to update the terminal’s firmware before performing any troubleshooting to the terminal.
There are a few issues to take note of while updating the firmware or language pack into the terminal:
- Make sure that the computer is installed with the TCMSv2 software. Without the TCMS V2 software, the firmware or language pack tool will not launch correctly. You can download the latest version of TCMSv2 software here.
- Disable the firewall or anti-virus software. Some of the firewall or anti-virus software will block the communication from the firmware or language pack tool to the terminal. You will need to disable the firewall or anti-virus software and update the firmware or language pack. Upon successfully updating the firmware or language pack, you may enable the firewall or anti-virus software.
- Disable the WiFi connection. Currently the firmware or language pack can only be updated using the LAN cable. If you update the firmware or language pack using the WiFi connection, the firmware in the terminal will be faulty or sometimes corrupted.
- Make sure you update the correct firmware to the respective terminals. We a few terminals with different core boards within a same model. Please refer to the list below:
- Q2i & TA200 Plus (FEM500)
- Q2i & TA200 Plus (FEM510)
- Q2i (FEM600)
- TA200 Plus (FEM600)
- i-Kiosk 100 (FEM500)
- i-Kiosk 100 (FEM510)
- i-Kiosk 100 (FEM600)
- i-Kiosk 100 Plus (FEM500)
- i-Kiosk 100 Plus (FEM600)
- Face ID 2 (FEM600)
- Faec ID 2 (FEM800)
- R2 (FEM500)
- R2 (FEM565)
You will need to determine your terminal’s platform before updating the firmware. To check the terminal’s platform, you may download the FingerTec Device Info Tool here. Extract the Device Info Tool and insert the terminal’s IP Address and click Connect.
The Device Info Tool will display the terminal’s details as per the screenshot below:
Please download the firmware according to the Platform type. To download the firmware: http://tips.fingertec.com/tips-download-firmware.php
The black & white screen models such as TA100, R2, Kadex and etc have a limited storage space. The terminal can only store up to 2 languages. Please download the transaction logs before updating the language pack to free up more storage space. If your terminal already has 2 languages installed, you will need to delete the existing language before updating a new one. To delete the language, download the language removal tool here. Extract the file and follow the instruction manual to remove the language.
Written by: Vincent